Medu Vada Recipe | How to make South Indian Vada Recipe
Medu Vada is an authentic and traditional dish from South India. Medu Vada Recipe is one of the popular South Indian foods best served in breakfast or as a snack.
Vada is a round shaped, deep fried crispy fritters made of urad dal. Medu Vada can be best served with samabar and coconut chutney.
Prep Time- 4 hours
Cook Time- 45 minutes
Course- Snacks, Breakfast
Cuisine- South Indian
- Split Black Gram (Urad Dal)- 250 gms
- Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Black Peppercorns- 7-8 (crushed)
- Cloves-2-3 (Crushed)
- 1 tablespoon- ginger paste
- 2 green chillies
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Asafoetida- A pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
How to make Medu Vada Recipe
For making Medu Vada Batter
- Soak the urad dal for 4-5 hours and grind it to a smooth batter. If required, use little water.
- The batter should not be too much watery or not much dry. Keep its consistency well.
- Add the spices, ginger paste and green chillies. Mix all ingredients well.
For making Medu Vada
- Heat oil in a kadai at high flame. Once the oil heats up, lower the flame and wait for 3-4 minutes.
- Take a bowl of water, place some water on both the hands. Take little batter with right hand from the bowl and give it a round shape.
- With your finger, make a hole at the center of vada. Just like the shape of donut.
- Then, put this medu vada in hot oil gently. Once it starts to turn golden in color, turn its face and continue to fry.
- Fry the medu vadas till they turn crispy and golden brown.
- Drain them over tissue paper so as to remove the extra oil.
- Serve hot medu vadas with coconut chutney or samabar.