Kashmiri Munj Haak Recipe (Ganth Gobhi/ Kohlrabi)- Flavored with Asafoetida
Ganth Gobhi/ kohlrabi is a very popular vegetable in kashmiri cusine. This Haak recipe is made with knol khol also known as Ganth Gobhi and greens, flavored with asafetida (hing) and dry chilies. This is my mother-in-laws recipe. Her roots from Kashmir can be seen in dishes at my in-laws place. Kashmiri cusine has different taste and authentic flavor which needs to develop. This is very simple and easy recipe. The soupy texture of haak goes well with steamed rice.
Prep Time- 20 minutes
Cook Time- 30 minutes
Total Time- 50 minutes
- Ganth Gobhi/ Kohlrabi- 2 along with green leaves
- Asafoetida (Hing)- a few pinches (depends on how strong flavor you want)
- Dry Red Chilies- 2
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder- ½ teaspoon
- Saunf/Fennel Seeds powder- 3/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala- ½ teaspoon
- 3-4 teaspoon Mustard Oil
- Salt to taste
If you like this recipe, try one more recipe from Kashmiri cusine- Kashmiri Dum Aloo
How to make Kashmiri Munj Haak Recipe
1. Peel, wash and cut the Ganth Gobhi in cubes. Wash the greens properly and chop them.
2. In a pressure cooker, add mustard oil and fry the Kohlrabi cubes till they turn golden brown and keep them aside in a plate.
3. Now, in the remaining oil, add hing, dry red chili, fennel seeds (powder) and fried kohlrabi cubes. Sprinkle some red kashmiri chili powder and mix well.
4. Add the chopped greens, salt to taste, garam masala and mix well. Stir fry for a minute and then add enough water to cover the Ganth Gobhi.
5. Cover the lid and cook the vegetable on low flame till they become soft and tender. Don’t overcook the greens, otherwise they loose the green color.
6. Turn off the flame and serve it hot with steamed rice.